Monday, February 22, 2010

Response to Allie’s American Studies Blog

Before reading Allie’s blog, I had a pretty good idea about Immigration. I knew about American issues with immigration, benefits, and “outsiders” views…or so I thought. Allie’s presentation really gave me a much strong idea of how the issue came about and why the root of the issue is still affecting American culture. When Allie talks about the Gentleman’s Agreement, I gave me a different look on who exactly migrates to America. I feel that when people, or at least I do, think about immigrants it is usually Hispanics and African Americans who have immigrated here. When she wrote about the agreement it really made me think about people for Japan immigrating here. How is it possible that the majority of Asians in this country are more highly accepted than Hispanics and blacks? How did America become a country that is supposed to give opportunities and a better life? Yes, America does provide many more opportunities and fairness towards their people than other countries do, but America does not accept that their people are not only white people. We should be a country that is willing to help all people of any race, gender, or age move forward. I really liked how Allie gave a side of fear or terrorists. I believe that it puts the government’s actions into perspective. It is important that America does not just become a “free for all” country; it needs to remain a safe place. It is very hard to find a line between being safe and being judgmental. I can now see how it can be very hard for the government to make immigration legislation, before I saw all the government as a negative influence and deny others opportunities but now I can see how challenging it is. I believe Allie does a very good job and stating the issue and her opinion for possible solutions. Although I do not necessarily agree with all of Allie’s views on the issues, I was still able to get a very good understanding of the general issue. She gave a very good amount of background information for me to be able to make my own connections. America became to be the way that it is today because people from all of immigrated over here to create their own lives. America is their opportunity to live, the government needs to keep that idea in mind while still trying to protect the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment