Monday, February 22, 2010

Response to Pudys Blog

Before reading Stewart’s blog, I had little to no knowledge at all about the true effects of urbanization. I believe that he did a very good job with laying out the positives and negatives. This gave me a better understanding. For example I did not know that urbanization has affected crime in this country, just knowing that fact makes me think about the reasons behind that and how to find solutions. After reading the list of pros and cons though I am still left wondering why, why was wealth created or how was it? How did it give people opportunity that was not previously given and how did it increase organized crime? When Stewart talks about the Chicago fire, it helped me understand what could go wrong and why some people may be against urbanization. I now can see that urbanization could be dangerous and when I always thought of the Chicago fire I never thought of how it may have affected society. It probably discouraged them, many people lost so much. I believe urbanization is all about the next step, in terms of the Chicago fire it became all about how Chicago could improve. I was a little confused how his short story / poem connected with urbanization in America. I believe when Stewart talked about pollution it helps provide more information on negative effects of urbanization. After giving the information about pollution I was able to think about the benefits and negative side effects and think about, is it worth it? I thought that Stewarts connection to what it means to be an American was very good and after reading it I was able to think about how that affects America today in a lot of different issues. I was able to think about how urbanization creates the American idea of wealth and power. Overall, I was left with a few questions but I really got some good information about how urbanization plays a role in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment